Diversity and Inclusion Council
Fosters an atmosphere that seeks and cultivates a diversity of people and perspectives while promoting equity and inclusion.
We, the Diversity and Inclusion Council, strive to foster an atmosphere that seeks and cultivates a diversity of people and perspectives while promoting equity and inclusion. Diversity, equity and inclusion guide our values and serve as our foundation for academic excellence and innovation. These values are paramount to the health and well-being of students, staff and faculty and are critical to the mission of student success. We develop and coordinate training programs and learning opportunities to foster a culturally aware and inclusive community and to promote open dialogue about anti-racism and racial equity as well as other dimensions of diversity and inclusion. Our efforts recognize the many aspects of diversity, including differences in race, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, physical and mental ability, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, pregnancy, military status, protected veteran status, religion, culture, language, socioeconomic status and geography. We must not only define these dimensions; we must also be vigilant in our commitment to build and sustain a community that embraces them as core values.
In your service and for the success of our students,
The Diversity and Inclusion Council
The Diversity and Inclusion Council assists the vice provost for student academic success in creating a model organization for inclusive excellence. The council monitors and evaluates progress in creating a diverse, equitable and inclusive work and learning environment. This includes development of the department's diversity and inclusion strategy, continuous monitoring of the environment and regular assessment and evaluation. More specifically, the Diversity and Inclusion Council:
- Maintains the Buckeye Portal for Inclusive Excellence
- Monitors (and reports on as needed) metrics associated with diversity and inclusion
- Disseminates information to the community regarding best practices that encourage diversity and inclusion
- Provides training, assesses the cultural climate and recommends changes based upon findings
- Participates in programming and events across campus that support diversity, such as the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s National Conference on Diversity, Race and Learning and the Office of Student Life’s Heritage and Awareness Events